RE: Greenhouse calculator?

From: LaPedis, Ron (ron.lapedis@compaq.com)
Date: Thu Aug 20 1998 - 13:52:32 PDT

Date: Thu, 20 Aug 1998 13:52:32 -0700
From: "LaPedis, Ron" <ron.lapedis@compaq.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: RE: Greenhouse calculator?

I'm working on replacing my western-facing, opaque-roofed, 1/8" plexi window
sunroom with an all double pane glass sunroom (still not quite a traditional
greenhouse). The sunroom folks are recommending deeply tinted glass on the
roof (passes 14% of the visible light and heat of single pane clear glass)
and lightly tinted glass on the walls (38%). This xlates to 1500 and 5000
footcandles respectively. On foggy days which are about 10/1 over sunny
days, neither gives me any useable light.

My take is that I should put in lightly tinted top glass and clear wall
glass then use shades to meet my heat and light needs. If it's sunny now, I
hit 100+ degrees with all vents closed but only hit 68 if it's foggy (this
is year 'round folks!). It sounds like I need all the heat I can get because
I can vent it off.

Does anyone have opinions on this? Better yet, does anyone have a
spreadsheet or tool which will let me plug in cu. ft of room; outside temp,
outside windspeed, required inside temp and give me the net BTU/hr gain I
need? How about something that can interpolate Ashrae values?

Thanks,
Ron LaPedis