Re: Gel Soil

From: Carl Strohmenger (HSC) (cstrohme@com1.med.usf.edu)
Date: Mon Aug 17 1998 - 08:30:30 PDT

Date: Mon, 17 Aug 1998 11:30:30 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Carl Strohmenger (HSC)" <cstrohme@com1.med.usf.edu>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Gel Soil

I have seen this 'gel media' used to grow pine seedlings at a forestry
nursery operation. It is quite effective in growing lots of pine seedlings
in a small space. However, it seems to me that bladderworts and/or
corkscrew (Genlisea?) need to grow in a media that will harbor little
critters that can serve as prey. The 'gel' serves as a fairly sterile media
for pine seedlings. CPs might need something that would not be sterile. In
addition, if you had a lot of other stuff growing in the 'gel', it would no
longer be transparent, would it?
- Carl