More on Aldrovanda

From: Chris.Breckpot@olvz-aalst.be
Date: Wed Aug 12 1998 - 01:17:59 PDT

Date: Wed, 12 Aug 1998 10:17:59 +0200
From: Chris.Breckpot@olvz-aalst.be
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: More on Aldrovanda

>Hello,
>At the Conference of the International Carnivorous Plant Society in Bonn
>got a piece of Aldrovanda of a kind person (who?). I put the Aldrovanda in
>my garden pond;it looks very healthy although it hasn=B4t grown so much
>because of the cold and rainy Swedish summer. But how can it survive the
>winter? I think the pond is too cold for the Aldrovanda during the winter.
>Regards
>Barbara

Hi Barbara,

For a thermophilous species like Aldrovanda, the Swedish summers are
probably too cold for vigorous growth. Not knowing your water temperatures
nor other parameters, I assume this is why your plant hasn't grown much.
As such THIS is not a big problem. But, for the same reason it is likely
that your plant will form turions which are too weak to survive winter.
Since there is a fair chance that you obtained a specimen from *tropical*
Australia the risk for loss might be even higher.
I suggest to transfer your Aldrovanda to a warmer place (a greenhouse
perhaps ?) and keep your fingers crossed ...
Regards,

Christian Breckpot