blooming VFT's

From: The Scotts (jrscott@gte.net)
Date: Mon Aug 10 1998 - 22:57:33 PDT

Date: Mon, 10 Aug 1998 22:57:33 -0700
From: The Scotts <jrscott@gte.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: blooming VFT's

couple things:

I've had a VFT for about three months, another for about two. Both are
actually still living. I did re-pot both into gallon, or so, size
containers with a 50/50 mixture peat and sand. From earlier readings, I
realize this isn't the most ideal, but better than what they were in.

I'm even trying a pitcher plant I bought the same time I bought my
second VFT. It's still alive too. Not bad for being a former VFT
murderer.

First question: I put my second VFT and the pitcher plant out in the
sun right after re-potting, which began to dry them out. I quickly
realized my mistake, placed them up on the deck, gave them plenty of
water till they became stronger. THe VFT turned a reddish color. Seems
healthy other than than. Is the reddish color a good or bad
characteristic?

Second question: my first VFT has begun to bloom over the last couple
weeks. I remember something mentioned on this listserv about blooming
VFT's. I'm not planning to get seed from it. I'm just thrilled that it
is healthy enough to bloom. Does the blooming take away from the growth
of the traps? Does this have that much affect on the plants growth, at
all?

Thanks

Rick S