Re: Queensland Tropical Droseras - Survey

From: dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Date: Thu Aug 06 1998 - 16:57:00 PDT

Date:    Thu, 06 Aug 98 19:57 EDT
From: dave evans                           <T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Queensland Tropical Droseras - Survey

Dear Debra,

   What a great list of cultivation tips! Thanks.

> WATER:
> One person mentioned his plants sit in water.
> Another person warns you not to allow them to sit in water.
> (I sit mine in a tray with up to 1/2" of RO/distilled water).

   I noted this with interest. I believe the issue of water is often
misunderstood. Most of the time, CPs grow in very wet soils. The
problem with keeping soil very wet in pots and trays is that it becomes
stagnant, whereas in natural environments there is almost always a
constant flow of water so it never stagnates. **The wetter you keep
your soils, the more you have to ensure the water/soil stays fresh.**
When kept drier, more air flows into the soil all by it's self. Some
plants need to be kept wetter than this allows, for most it is optional.

> In Tropical Queensland, there are two seasons: DRY (temperatures
> constantly warm), and WET (temperatures hot). We may be seeing our
> plants attempting to follow these built-in seasonal changes.

Yeah! Now I think I understand what is happening with D.adelae and why
I can't get it to grow right consistantly. It doesn't. Thank's again.

Dave Evans