TOO MUCH LIGHT!

From: Matt Stetson (spectre@evcom.net)
Date: Thu Aug 06 1998 - 18:04:49 PDT

Date: Thu, 6 Aug 1998 18:04:49 -0700
From: "Matt Stetson" <spectre@evcom.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: TOO MUCH LIGHT!

>Dear Trevor,
>
>I have been growing CPs under various combinations of discharge lamps
(total
>replacement lighting) for a number of years now and have found, over time,
>with day lengths in excess of 14 hours that some plants exhibit this
>photoinhibition that you mention. At least, I think you are referring to a
>problem I have! I would describe it as a foreshortening or rosetting
affect
>which gets worse over time irrespective of light level.
>
>As you obviously know what you are talking about, I was wondering if you
can
>tell me if you think it is a phytochrome (R/FR ) reaction which, as far as
>am aware, is affected by day length, or more accurately night length?
>
>I have been looking for someone who knows enough about the subject, and is
>interested enough in CP's to discuss it, for a while now. Sorry if this
>puts you on the spot, so to speak.

I am not sure if this helps you at all, but perhaps it does. I am a serious
lover of my CP's. (In fact my wife has even threatened them against her,
lovingly). I check on them before work, after work, right after sun down,
and before bed time. Here's something I've noticed that you might find
interesting. All (5) of my CP's are on a stand day/night time scale for
Florida all on real sunlight. At sundown I'll check on them and see how
they've done in the sun and I'll bring them away from the lawn sprinklers at
bed time. In the morning when I set them out for their daily sunbath (as
some lucky souls get to do in Florida), I'll often notice growth. Yes,
actual growth throughout the night. So, it seems to me that if you do away
with a proper night cycle you actually do away with part of your poor plants
growth cycle (poor stunted little fellows). I'm not sure if this info
helps but there it is. My species are unknown right now, but they are 2
sundew and 3 Neps