Tuberous Drosera Dormancy

From: Mark T. Bachelor (bachelor@gateway.mggs.vic.edu.au)
Date: Wed Aug 05 1998 - 18:10:11 PDT

Date: Thu, 6 Aug 1998 11:10:11 +1000
From: "Mark T. Bachelor" <bachelor@gateway.mggs.vic.edu.au>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Tuberous Drosera Dormancy

Greetings All,

Regarding the dormancy period of TD, the conditions required are very
dependent on where the plants are from. D. whittakeri is a common plant in
heathlands that edge swamp land and in areas of forest on poor soils that
retain water (ie sand over clay). It normally grows in shaded positions and
so when the rains decrease drying out is much slower. The often start to
dissappear in september, but can still be found until november. Locally the
ground only dries out completely in january.
D. peltata ssp peltata and ssp auriculata grow in wetter conditions
(including areas that flood completely) and so the soil that they grow in
may not dry out until february, if at all.
I find the best way to maintain them over summer is to move the pots (I
don't like small pots for these plants) into a shaded area where they
continue to get some water but are out of the summer heat and most rain.
Previously I have had them in a planter box that I moved to a very dry area
(often inside) thus insuring they got no moisture. The result was that the
plants decreased in number dramatically. With the above treatment the
population has recovered and they plants are doing better than ever.
My surviving auriculatas currently have stem bases that are about 7-8 mm in
diameter dwarfing the surrounding D. peltata ssp peltata, and their first
leaves are larger than most I have seen before.

Regards

Mark T Bachelor
Biology Technican
Melbourne Girls Grammar School Voice: +61 (03) 9866 1676
South Yarra, Victoria, Fax: +61 (O3) 9866 5768
Australia 3141

National Science Week, STAV Family Day Co-ordinator