Re: Coffee Grounds

From: Boyd Pearson (boyd@ihug.co.nz)
Date: Mon Aug 03 1998 - 19:07:46 PDT

Date: Tue, 04 Aug 1998 14:07:46 +1200
From: Boyd Pearson <boyd@ihug.co.nz>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Coffee Grounds

>Back in the Middle Ages when I was a kid, I used to visit my
>grandmother. She had a garden in back where she grew various
>salad greens. She used to top the soil around the greens with coffee
>grounds. The more I think about this ploy, the more it sounds logical
>for carnivorous plants. First, it makes the soil more acidic. Second
>I have heard caffeine is an insecticide. Third it increases organic
>matter.

Not recommended for potted plants of any kind due to the lack to bacteria
in the media. You don't want to kill all insects, or all soil life, soil
requires bacteria. While I'm here, I wouldn't recommend the use of organic
fertilisers on plants growing in artificial media.

Boyd.

The Eldritch Dark:
Dedicated to Clark Ashton Smith
http://members.xoom.com/eldritchdark/