Re: Queenland Australia, Sundews

From: ricell@juno.com
Date: Sat Aug 01 1998 - 21:01:24 PDT

Date: Sat, 1 Aug 1998 22:01:24 -0600
From: ricell@juno.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Queenland Australia, Sundews

I can't comment on D. shizandra since I've never grown it, but I grow
both D. adelae and D. prolifera in a 50:50 peat sand mix in 4" pots
sitting in a try of water. The water level varies from about 1/2" to
dry. The plants are on the floor about 7' away from a 1000 watt metal
halide lamp so the light levels are realatively low and temperatures
moderate (probably 60-85 F). Humidity is around 80% at all times. I had
a hard time getting D. adelae established. I think it does not
appreciate transport and changing conditions. Once it gets going though
it grows like a weed! Under these conditions, D. prolifera has flowered
and produced 2 new plants in the last year but has remained relatively
small.

Rich Ellis, Boulder, CO "ricell@juno.com"
http://www.geocities.com/RainForest/Vines/8564/