Re:Nepenthes Potting Mix

From: Richard Brown (esoft@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Sat Aug 01 1998 - 19:02:43 PDT

Date: Sat, 01 Aug 1998 22:02:43 -0400
From: "Richard Brown" <esoft@ix.netcom.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re:Nepenthes Potting Mix

Hello Tom,
>Hi! I want to know which kind of soil must I use for potting nepenthes.

This is a greatly discussed topic here! Just about every Nepenthes grower
has his/her mix tailored to their growing conditions.

Most mixes contain a degree of sphagnum peat moss and some other component
to increase drainage. This may include perlite, orchid bark(fir bark,
osmunda, tree fern fiber), clay pellets (aliflor), pumice, granite, coconut
fiber, charcoal or all of the above mixed together. Some growers use pure,
live sphagnum, or use the sphagnum as a topping. All growers agree that
Nepenthes need rapid drainage. Slightly acidic conditions seem to be
preferred.

Check out the June issue of the CP Digest, and some of the Nepenthes
oriented websites. If you cannot find them, get a good search engine!
There's lots of info on Nepenthes on the Web.

Good growing,

Trent Meeks
Pompano Beach, Fl.