D. peltata quandary

From: Mark Pogany (markp@en.com)
Date: Thu Jul 30 1998 - 22:44:57 PDT

Date: Fri, 31 Jul 1998 01:44:57 -0400
From: "Mark Pogany" <markp@en.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: D. peltata quandary

Since last November I have been cultivating a 10" pot filled with Drosera
peltata/ auriculata sundews ( Thanks Andrew!). Most of the stolons broke the
surface early on in that month. I have been enjoying a veritable jungle of
this plant ever since. The pot now sits outdoors exposed to mostly full sun,
the sandy peat being lightly watered once every two to three days.

Presently most of the above ground growth has flowered and is dying back
from the top on downward.

My dilemma is new plants sprouting next to the base of some of the stems. I
thought that once a tuberous species withers you should begin drying out the
pot, sit it under a greenhouse bench, and forget about it for 6 months. Why
are my plants producing new growth? Should I dig up the new plants and
continue to grow them on or what? Do these two species have laterally
produced tubers year-round?

Any "Tube-o-philes" out there that can lend a hand?!!!

Saving the Siberian Nepenthes,

Mark Pogany
Cleveland, Ohio

markp@en.com