RE: Drosera problems

From: Jason Ashley (jasona@warwick.net)
Date: Wed Jul 29 1998 - 22:57:47 PDT

Date: Thu, 30 Jul 1998 01:57:47 -0400
From: "Jason Ashley" <jasona@warwick.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: RE: Drosera problems

Miguel,

It has been my discovery that drosera love light and lots and lots of it.
Right now my D. capensis and binata are enjoying full sun light for nearly
the entire day. From 8:00am to about 18:00 they receive full and total sun.
I recall that Adrian Slack once noted that the hotter it is and more sun
they receive the more dew is produced. Not one to be contrary to the
greatest living CPer of all time I took his advice and fairly bake my
drosera all day long. Both plants came from California Carnivores and when I
spoke to Merrilee about them she said the greenhouses had very little sun
this year. I received the plants and they were all green and without dew.
While I'm sure the shipping had caused the dew to stop production, the green
seemed to come from low light. When I put them outdoors the plants did go
into shock for a for a week or two but then perked right up. With the super
high light levels the plants are receiving might seem extreme for plants
that like to be kept so wet I've found the more sun the better. The Drosera
are now all deep maroon, have gobs of dew all over them, and are blooming
happily.

I'm quite sure your light levels are too low for these plants and I would do
whatever is possible to get them as much light as possible. If you're in
Portugal I would, if possible, put the plants on the sunniest windowsill you
have, maybe in a flowerbox or whatever you have. If they are set in a tray
of water to keep the humidity high around them they should be fine in the
heat. You'll see some stress from the change in light levels but within
weeks you should have amazingly healthy, ruby-red plants with plenty of dew.

Best,
Jason Ashley
Warwick, NY USA

Peace, love, empathy,