Don's Okie bog

From: Mark Pogany (markp@en.com)
Date: Sat Jul 25 1998 - 22:01:23 PDT

Date: Sun, 26 Jul 1998 01:01:23 -0400
From: "Mark Pogany" <markp@en.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Don's Okie bog

Don Drury wrote:

I've been wondering if I could have an artificial bog here in Oklahoma.
Its been realy hot for a long time now, my D.adelae is doing okay for now
in this heat, it wilted and died, but half a dozen plantlets shot up from
the roots and I have good expectations! I would most like to have some
sarrs. The winters are warm here now ( el nino, or global warming?) unless
this winter is different, It'll freeze but there wont be any snow.

Sure! I wouldn't plan on any D. adelae or other tropical CP but most any
temperate species would probably do just fine. Just make sure your
artificial bog is constructed in a very sunny open spot that gets at least 6
or more hours of direct sun during the spring and summer growing season. All
Sarracenia, with the possible exception of psittacina, Drosera such as
rotundifolia, intermedia, anglica, and filiformis var. filiformis would
work. You can also keep subtropicals in there during the warmer months
before moving them indoors in autumn. A good subtropical "weed" that will
decorate any artificial bog is D. capensis and D. capillaris.

If your location on Oklahoma gets below 15f during the dead of winter plan
on putting a few inches of mulch on the plants to protect them from the
cold, dry winds.

Good growing from Ohio,

Mark Pogany
markp@en.com