Drosera Slackii

From: Frank Lutz (f.lutz@holychild.pvt.k12.ny.us)
Date: Wed Jul 22 1998 - 09:46:19 PDT

Date: Wed, 22 Jul 1998 12:46:19 -0400
From: Frank Lutz <f.lutz@holychild.pvt.k12.ny.us>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Drosera Slackii

I joined the list a few months ago and since then I have learned so much
from all of you. This list is excellent. Now on to my first question.
I have a Drosera Slackii that I just purchased about 3 weeks ago. It is
kept in a terrarium under fluorescent lights with a bunch of other CPs.
The plant is growing but for the past 2 weeks I have noticed that new
leaves that are forming are curling under and losing most of their dew.
I have other Drosera in the humid tank that are doing extremely well. I
have seen leaf curling on plants that are getting to much sun, but this
Drosera is under fluorescents! (about 10 inches from 4 20W bulbs to be
exact). Also within the last week I noticed that the sphagnum moss that
the plant is growing in is covered with what looks like small and
intricate spider webs. Is this caused by spider mites? I thought
spider mites liked dry conditions. The moss is constantly wet. If it
is spider mites how do I get rid of them, it only seems to be the moss
that is infected. Any help, suggestions or info on what may be
happening would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. Frank