VFT non-trap leaves?

From: Lauren Weinstein (lauren@vortex.com)
Date: Fri Jul 17 1998 - 20:43:00 PDT

Date: Fri, 17 Jul 98 20:43 PDT
From: lauren@vortex.com (Lauren Weinstein)
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: VFT non-trap leaves?

Greetings. I'm just a novice in the VFt world-- a guy with
a single VFT in a little pot on the kitchen window here
in L.A.

The plant seems to have done pretty well overall. It's about
a year and half old now. The first year, it grew one long
flower stem. This year, it grew three.

The traps haven't been as large this year, but more are coming in
now. Two questions though:

1) Is it best to leave alone or remove the dead flower stems
   traps? I know that they'll turn brown and rot away on their
   own over time. What's best? Since the flowers are all dried
   up on the stems, should I leave the stems where they are?

2) This year the plant has grown three rather large thick
   "leaves" of a type I haven't seen before. They almost look
   like trap leaves, but are bigger, wider, and do NOT have traps
   on the end. What are these?

Thanks much.

--Lauren--