Re: Follow-up (What's Killing my Drosera?)

From: ems@lucent.com
Date: Thu Jul 16 1998 - 00:58:46 PDT

Date: Thu, 16 Jul 1998 08:58:46 +0100
From: ems@lucent.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Follow-up (What's Killing my Drosera?)

Thanks to all who responded with advice on this one.

I rescued a tiny clump of new shoots of my D. Binata, which had already
started to die. (In the process, I discovered how this plant spreads
itself, with creeping roots). The cutting was repotted, and given
'distilled' water (actually melted ice, scraped from the inside of my
freezer). What a success! It's going wild, so I'm happy.

Incidentally, I had the pH tested of my well water - that's 7.65. It's
probably chock-full of dissolved minerals. It seems to have killed my VFTs,
and almost done in my D. Binata. However, my D. Capensis and Sarracenia seem
happy with it.

As another 'vivisection' experiment, I've been force-feeding a D.
Capensis with tap water, just to see how tough it really is. (Note: not
very scientific, only using one specimen). The result is a very stunted
plant, quite compact. There is very little 'dew' on the tentacles,
though.

Regards

Edwin Spector
Bath, UK.