Re: Drosera sunshine requirements

From: David Falk (dave@sparrowarts.com)
Date: Wed Jul 15 1998 - 17:10:17 PDT

Date: Wed, 15 Jul 1998 17:10:17 -0700 (PDT)
From: David Falk <dave@sparrowarts.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Drosera sunshine requirements

On Wed, 15 Jul 1998, Susan Farrington wrote:

> In our cp bog display I'm finding it difficult to grow good
> specimens of Drosera filiformis, D. binnata, D. dichotoma, and even
> Drosera capensis! I'm suspecting that the problem is not quite enough
> strong sunshine, but my other theory is that they're not quite wet
> enough. I have excellent specimens of each growing in our back-up
> area (which is outside in lots of sunshine, with the plants sitting
> in trays of water).

Susan,

My experience with CP's outdoors has been less than encouraging.
I keep plants in four places: I have a shaded west window, a
sunny south window, my south facing patio, and my sunless
sterile cubicle at work.

The first set of plants I got were Darlingtonia. I put them out
on the patio, watered them with ice water, and two days later they
were fried. I rescued them from the patio and put them in my west
window. Now, after two months, they are finally making a comeback.

Then, I got some Drosera Rotundifolia and VFTs. I put some in all
four locations. The ones in my south window did fine. The ones in
my west window didn't get enough light, and had to be moved. The
ones outside on the patio got murdered. The sun fried them, then the
bugs had lunch on them. Curious enough, the plants in my low-humidity,
florescent lit cubicle are doing fine.

Any plants I put outside gets slaughtered in short order. I have found
that they just don't do that well in the great outdoors. In my case,
the plants seem to love the light but hate the heat that comes with
unfiltered sunlight.

Dave.

--
David Falk                                 URL http://www.SparrowArts.com