Re: Fw: Sarracenia excellens question

From: dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Date: Tue Jul 14 1998 - 17:13:00 PDT

Date:    Tue, 14 Jul 98 20:13 EDT
From: dave evans                           <T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Fw: Sarracenia excellens question

Dear Mark,

> I have two large pots containing a couple big clumps of S. excellens. I
> originally received these last winter during their dormant period.
> The plants have long since put out flowers that are presently working on
> seed pod development. My problem is the pitchers. All I am getting right now
> out of my plants are a ton of phyllodia-like leaves, tall and spindly with
> white mottled tube openings.

   Perhaps you have a lame clone? What does your supplier say about
them?

> Does this hybrid put out crops of well-formed pitchers throughout the
> growing season or wait for late summer? Should I be changing anything as far
> as cultural requirements? The large pots are in my front yard , planted in
> 50/50 peat-sand, and receive 5-7 hours of direct sunlight.

   On my bigger pots, I use 100% peatmoss in the bottom half of the pot.
And something like 1/3 sand, 2/3 peatmoss for the top half. Tall pots
(or big pots, which are of course taller) don't need as much sand since
so much more of the pot is above the water line. Therefore, straight
peat at the bottom does a real nice job keeping the plant's roots wet
enough, especially during hot and dry periods.
   I only use 50/50 peat/sand mixes on four and six inch pots.

Hope this helps you,
Dave Evans