Re: Drosera seeds (when to harvest)

From: L235@aol.com
Date: Tue Jul 14 1998 - 07:34:09 PDT

Date: Tue, 14 Jul 1998 10:34:09 EDT
From: L235@aol.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Drosera seeds (when to harvest)

Richard Berg writes:

> I posted a week or so ago about my D. rotundofolia's that have bloomed and
> hopefully set seed. According to 'Carnivorous Plants of the World',
> rotundofolia's are "Self-Pollinator's" and I'm now wondering what to do
with
> the 5 or so that have bloomed raning from 1 to 6 weeks ago. I'm inquiring
> into the lenght of time one should allow the flourecent to remain and set
> seed (crossing fingers)...

I just harvested the season's seed set from my collection of D. filiformis
tracyi. The seed capsules ripen from the bottom up (just as the flowers open).
I remove each capsule as it ripens (flower end of capsule turns black and
begins to open slightly.) If the entire capsule turns brown or black, the
seeds have usually already dehisced ... although many often remain and can be
collected even with an overblown capsule.)

I find it often difficult to tell at first glance which capsules contain seeds
and which do not ... there isn't often an obvious swelling to indicate
fertilization.

Hope this helps.

Jay Lechtman (L235@aol.com)
Ashburn, Virginia, USA