Mould on Nepenthes

From: BillSherren (william.sherren@ukonline.co.uk)
Date: Sun Jul 12 1998 - 13:14:35 PDT

Date: Sun, 12 Jul 1998 21:14:35 +0100
From: BillSherren <william.sherren@ukonline.co.uk>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Mould on Nepenthes

Hi Everyone,
Just got home from the Hampton Court Garden show clutching a Nepenthes =
coccinea, Darlington California & a Sarracenia x Popei..A good day out, =
despite having to wade through mud, due to endless rain.

Now a couple of questions;
I am growing my Nepenthes in a variety of composts such as live sphagum =
moss, mixed with orchid compost. Also orchid compost, perlite and a =
small amount of Irish moss peat.
Growing these plants and a Heliamphora I have in a high humidity section =
of my greenhouse, I keep on getting this awful cotton wool type mould =
covering the surface of the pot, and lower parts of the stems..Not good =
news..I used to spray with Benlate, until it was banned from our =
shores..Currently I am trying "Spotless" which contains carbendazim as =
its main ingredient.
But the problem never goes away, reappearing the next day or so, even =
with Benlate..Is there any way of eradicating this problem for good?

My other question, has anyone tried these "Seramis" granules for growing =
nepenthes? Judging from their advertising which lists most plants =
including orchids, as well as the fact the granules never break down or =
compact, they sound ideal..

Finally does anyone on the list, preferably in the UK or Europe, have =
either plants or seeds of Pinguicula lutea for trade?

Thanks for a great & useful digest..

Good Growing ..

Bill