RE: some questions

From: Tom Massey (massey@hal.fmhi.usf.edu)
Date: Fri Jul 10 1998 - 07:51:08 PDT

Date: Fri, 10 Jul 1998 10:51:08 -0400
From: Tom Massey <massey@hal.fmhi.usf.edu>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: RE: some questions

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, July 09, 1998 5:27 PM
To: Multiple recipients of list

I wrote in my intro that I would like to keep some lowland nepenthes in a
terrarium. Anyone have an idea for a selfsustaining (watering) system?

I was thinking of having a false bottom standing on some pvc-pipes. Under
this there should be approx. 2 inches of water. A powerhead would pump the
water up and supply a connection with smaller hoses. ....(snip)

Must the plants have absolutely fresh water or can I circulate the old?
I've read that Nepenthes is sensitive to bacteria so would the build-up of
bacteria in the stagnated water create disaster? (snip)

Thanks in advance
  Regards Christer Berglund

[Tom Massey]
FWIW, I tend to prefer simple systems over those that are more complex.
 Things get expensive and never seem to do quite what they should. Many
lowland Neps are very easy to grow including most hybrids, rafflesianna,
ampullaria, mirabilis, gracilis, and even the "highland" khasiana. I grew
all of these at one time or another in terrariums, particularly back in
grad school, and it isn't hard to do. I found (or built) aquariums and
stood them on end (more growing room) placed the plants in large pots in a
shallow tray poured a little water in the tray, sprayed the plants and
covered the open side with a piece of glass (or even heavy plastic wrap!)
and put them under lights. Maybe once every three weeks or so check to
make sure they haven't dried out and add water if necessary.

And I never lost a plant, --the only problem is that they outgrow your
terrarium in a year or so.

Then save your cash and efforts for when you start trying to grow the
highlands!

Tom in Fl