Re: _Hydrosme rivieri_ (was: "hydrosome riverei")

From: Carlo A. Balistrieri (cabalist@facstaff.wisc.edu)
Date: Thu Jul 02 1998 - 10:38:28 PDT

Date: Thu, 02 Jul 1998 12:38:28 -0500
From: "Carlo A. Balistrieri" <cabalist@facstaff.wisc.edu>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: _Hydrosme rivieri_ (was: "hydrosome riverei")

>_Hydrosme rivieri_ (Durieu ex Carriere) Engl. (based on
>_Amorphophallus rivieri_ Durieu ex Carriere 1871 non Durieu ex
>Carriere 1869) is a member of the Araceae. Many members of this
>family trap insects with their inflorescences. But these insects are
>released after pollination, so the plants are *not* carnivorous.
>
>Thanks for the offer but I do not need the picture.

In addition, the blooming of this species would not be newsworthy. What she
probably heard about was the blooming of Amorphophallus titanum at Miami's
Fairchild Gardens. Another is about to bloom at the Atlanta Botanical
Garden. This used to be an extremely rare event but is becoming more
commonplace. It is absolutely spectacular nonetheless. Both institutions
have pages on their websites documenting the blooms.

Carlo

Carlo A. Balistrieri, J.D. mailto:CABalist@facstaff.wisc.edu
P.O. Box 327
Ashippun, WI 53003-0327
U.S.A.
Voice: 414.569.1902 Telefax: same number, please call ahead.