Re: Help save my Nepenthes.

From: Matt Ouimette (ermine@aimnet.com)
Date: Wed Jul 01 1998 - 23:37:19 PDT

Date: Wed, 01 Jul 1998 23:37:19 -0700
From: Matt Ouimette <ermine@aimnet.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Help save my Nepenthes.

Behrad wrote:
> The description you provided sounds very normal, actually. As a
> Nepenthes plant grows in length, the lower leaves, or better yet, the
> older leaves and pitchers begin to die off, since the pitchers only
> last about 1-2 months after opening.

I agree, and I would have assumed that exept that most of the pitchers
were 3 to 6 months old and not just one or two, and then I lost several
pitchers in the short time of a week or two.

I think that one of the other responses may point to what has
accelerated that natural process.

> ------------------------------

> From your description, I would say that this is a natural reaction
> to feeding too many crickets.

I actually hadn't fed it for awhile, and I hadn't fed any of the
pitchers that died in at least a month. I usually drop a small cricket
of pillbug into each picher after it opens, then not feed it again
unless I have a spare at some point. :)

======
> Trent here in Florida. The hybrid, N. spathulata x N. veitchii, is a
> vigorous grower.

Yes, It is my first nepenthes, and I'm astounded and overjoyed at how
quickly it started putting out sizeable and colorful pitchers, after I
got the light right.

> The pitchers are pretty,
> a nice orangy-red peristome with a distinctive shape.

Yes! It's got a remarkable flair to it, and they've been coming in a
gorgeous crimson. Visiting friends keep remarking on how lovely they
are.

> This hybrid has been dubbed (I use that term, since it is
> not scientifically recognized.) N. Judith Finn.

Yes. Peter D'amato told me that when I purchased them, but I wasn't
sure how far the recognition went.

> If the pitchers are turning brown lower down on the plant,
> don't worry, it is normal. If several are turning brown in
> rapid succession, then it may be conditions are too hot and dry.

THIS is news. That and another message that mentioned taking care to
keep humidity constant are both things that I can believe would be the
problem, and that I can correct. I can increase humidity easily enough
and see how everything reacts.

> As for the peristome color: cool nights give colorful pitchers.

Can anyone suggest a way for me to cool my terrarium at night? I might
be able to rig an ultrasonic fog mister on a timer to mist after the
lights go out, but anything I rig up will block the light to the plants
beneath or take up space that is currently occupied by a plant.

It looks like I may have a desk to set up another terrarium on soon, so
that would free up space to use.. What else might I do to cool things
down at night?

Matt O.

--
##  It may be great to soar with the eagles,   ##
##  but you never see a weasel getting sucked  ##