Supermarket Nepenthes

From: ralent@amherst.edu
Date: Wed Jul 01 1998 - 06:02:42 PDT

Date: Wed, 01 Jul 1998 09:02:42 -0400 (EDT)
From: ralent@amherst.edu
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Supermarket Nepenthes

At my local supermarket (central Massachusetts, USA) I found to my great
surprise, among a display of canned CP for sale, a "pitcher plant" that
was a Nepenthes! It looks like it's a cutting, it's about 3 inches tall
with one tiny sick-looking pitcher. There was no identification on the
container and I don't know what species it is because this is the first
Nepenthes I have acquired (bought it for $4.99). It was potted in a
2-inch plastic pot in long-fiber Sphagnum and I think it was suffering
from lack of water, so I repotted it into a 4-inch pot and have it in one
of my terraria under lights. Can anyone hazard a guess as to what species
this might be? That is, is there a species of Nepenthes that is commonly
found in the "supermarket trade"?

Thanks,

Rich Lent
rlent@fas.harvard.edu