Re: Juergs Bonn Paper - yet more Pinguicula

From: Juerg Steiger (juerg.steiger@iae.unibe.ch)
Date: Tue Jun 30 1998 - 10:18:35 PDT

Date: Tue, 30 Jun 1998 19:18:35 +0200
From: juerg.steiger@iae.unibe.ch (Juerg Steiger)
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Juergs Bonn Paper - yet more Pinguicula

Dear Loyd

> P.dertosensis (AKA P.submediterranea/ P.longifolia.ssp.
> dertosensis) Sanz et al '95 - I had not heard of this paper,
> and the name is not present on the CP database. OK the 1995
> publication gives priority over Blanca and co's '96
> paper(for P.submediterranea), but I would still have thought
> that Jans '94 P.l.ssp.d paper would take priority over Sanz
> and co - or am I missing something?

Let's ask Jan!

> Also did Sanz and co
> consider the Serrania de Cuenca, La Hoz de Betetas Pinguicula?

No.

> Or should Blanca et al or other workers conduct
> RADP-analysis to confirm the status of these populations?

Unfortunately they didn't. Morphologically the Hoz de Beteta specimens are
very close to P. submediterranea, but not to P. mundi.

> Further tantilising information in terms of a potentially
> new Italian member of the longifolia 'complex' with the
> threat of additional new species. After all the interest in
> Mexican Pinguicula over the 1980's and early 90's it is
> interesting to see all this activity in Europe over recent
> years.

I guess several new Ping species might still be detected in the Caucasus,
Altai Mts. and the Himalayas.

> And what about the Rio Ara plants, a clearly heterophyllous
> plant with flowers very close to P.grandiflora ( a
> homophyllous species). Are these plants one of the potential
> 1 to 3 new species?

May be (or is it simply a hybrid P. grandiflora x longifolia?). At present
also the Ping. populations of Italy are worthwhile to be scrutinized. Very
various inter- and postglacial conditions.

> And what about P.fiorii? Juerg is obviously convinced that
> it is a distinct species, however it is still reduce to
> P.l.ssp.reichenbachiana in the database. I have seen the
> flower on this species for the first time this year and this
> species is really very different from P.l.ssp.r. All I can
> do is to echo Juerg's observations that the flower is very
> different and the plant is without doubt homophyllus.

It IS really different from all other species.

Kind regards Juerg

Juerg Steiger M.D., Institute for Medical Education IAWF,
University of Bern, Faculty od Medicine, Inselspital 37a, CH-3010 Bern,
Switzerland. Phone: +41 (0)31 632 9887, Fax: +41 (0)31 632 9871