Coloration in Nepenthes pitchers

From: ricell@juno.com
Date: Wed Jun 24 1998 - 18:11:01 PDT

Date: Wed, 24 Jun 1998 19:11:01 -0600
From: ricell@juno.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Coloration in Nepenthes pitchers

I have a Nepenthes gracilis that has always produced essentially green
pitchers that have some red spots on the inside of the pitcher (which
subtly shows through to the outside). Recently, however, it has produced
a pitcher that is reddish brown - similar to the N. gracilis pictured in
Clarke's book. The previous pitcher was green and the following pitcher
was also green.

While coloration of Sarracenia and Dionaea seems to be essentially a
function of light intensity, coloration in Nepenthes pitchers seems more
complex and I would be interested in what other observers of Nepenthes
think. While I don't think that light intensity was significantly
different for my N. gracilis (grown under a metal halide lamp and the
vine is hanging down such that this pitcher is further from the light
than previous pitchers) variables that might be relevant are temperature
(hotter lately) or perhaps just maturity of the plant? This plant is
several years old but has never flowered for me.

Any thoughts?

Rich Ellis, Boulder, CO "ricell@juno.com"
http://www.geocities.com/RainForest/Vines/8564/