Various - S. Minor, dying nepenthes pitchers

From: Matt Ouimette (ermine@aimnet.com)
Date: Mon Jun 22 1998 - 11:19:34 PDT

Date: Mon, 22 Jun 1998 11:19:34 -0700
From: Matt Ouimette <ermine@aimnet.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Various - S. Minor, dying nepenthes pitchers

Howdy folks!

I haven't posted much the last few months, but I'm stil here, reading
every day. The terrarium I started a year ago is doing wonderfully, but
I have a problem or two I might need help on.

First, I have a beautiful s. leucophylla growing, but it has just
reached the top of the terrarium. :( The next pitcher it puts out will
be too tall for the space it has, and I have nowhere at my apartment
that gets daily sun. Obviously s.leuc is too big for the terrarium, so
I need to choose a different pitcher.

On further study, I see that S. Minor only gets to be 12 to 18 inches
tall - that's perfect! I'd very much like to have more healthy pitchers
in my terrarium to match the s. purpurea that's growing so well.

Is there anyone on this list with spare s.minor seed? If not, I'll
purchase a small plant for California Carnivores in a month or three,
but funds are a little tight at the moment, and I like growing from seed
anyway. :) If there's anyone with even a half-dozen or so seeds that
you'd be willing to send, I can promise them a good home.

If anyone would like to help me out, e-mail me at ermine@aimnet.com, and
I'll give you my address.

On to the next subject! Nepenthes.

I have a pair of Nepenthes Spathulata X Vetchii in my terrarium.
They've both been doing very well for the last year, but the larger of
the two seems to be having some sort of trouble of late - the pitchers
have begun to die. :(

Up until a month or so ago, it still had all of the original pitchers
it had when I bought it. Then the pitchers started to go brown and
die, one at a time, the oldest first. The plant has about 5 pitchers on
it now, One dead from the top to halfway down, one with the lid just
turning brown, and three healthy pitchers. There are a couple of
growing but unopened ones too.

It's not a very big plant - it's only got 11 leaves total, but it's lost
about 4 pitchers in the last month or so. Is this normal? The pitcher
that's turning brown now is the only one that had reddened up fully -
The last few healthy ones still haven't gone fully red around the
peristome.

I thought it might be the lowest leaves dying off while the crown
continued to grow, but I really don't know. I mist it every day, feed
it, etc. No fertilizer.

Can anyone offer any suggestions or thoughts as to why the pitchers
might be dying..? I hope to take care of it before the whole plant
goes, if there really is a problem.

On the good side, my Cephalotus that I purchased 3 months ago from
CalCarnivores is doing beautifully! It just started to put out some
deep red pitchers about the size of my thumb, and I have not one but TWO
plantlets growing in another pot. A spare for myself and a Christmas
present for my brother in Utah. :) Thank you Peter and Californa
Carnivores!

And 'The Savage Garden' is absolutely wonderful. I'll be giving copies
of that one as gifts too, come the holidays.

Matt O.

--
##  It may be great to soar with the eagles,   ##
##  but you never see a weasel getting sucked  ##