RE: overfeeding CPs & cup-trap mutant VFTs

From: Tom Massey (massey@hal.fmhi.usf.edu)
Date: Sun Jun 21 1998 - 18:36:14 PDT

Date: Sun, 21 Jun 1998 21:36:14 -0400
From: Tom Massey <massey@hal.fmhi.usf.edu>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: RE: overfeeding CPs & cup-trap mutant VFTs

Can CPs overeat? If overfeeding CPs is a true phenom, what are the signs
of indigestion? I'm specifically interested in Cephalotus, VFTs, and
D.regia.

Does anyone have experience with the VFT mutation with cup-shapped traps?
 Do I need to feed them by hand? Can their deformed traps even digest prey
or will they do better with fertilizers?

[Tom Massey] Cup-shaped VFTs can catch and digest prey, even though they
may not be quite as good at the catching part. The distal end of the trap
is fused, so depending on where the bugs come from, they may not be guided
into the trap. Mine are now developing upright traps, so unless the bugs
crawl up the stem they are unlikely to find themselves inside the trap.

Tom in Fl