Wine barrels and Carnivorous Plants

From: Pnsamm@aol.com
Date: Fri Jun 19 1998 - 00:51:24 PDT

Date: Fri, 19 Jun 1998 03:51:24 EDT
From: Pnsamm@aol.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Wine barrels and Carnivorous Plants

Dear people,

I have a half wine barrel that I am considering as a Sarracenia planter, as a
sort of mini-bog. I am wondering whether or not I should line the barrel with
plastic, since the barrel reeks of red wine. Actually, I am wondering whether
products in the wine might be detrimental to the plants. On the other hand,
planting or rather watering without a liner will ensure the barrel remains wet
and thus sealed together. Has anyone planted Sarracenia in a wine or whiskey
barrel, and do you have any recommendation?

Thank you,

Peter