N. Madagascariensis

From: Matt Miller (nuclei@paonline.com)
Date: Fri Mar 13 1998 - 16:04:27 PST

Date: Fri, 13 Mar 1998 16:04:27 -0800
From: Matt Miller <nuclei@paonline.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: N. Madagascariensis

Hello,

I would like to comment on how I grow my Home Depot N.
Madagascariensis. I have only had my plant for about 1/2 a year now but
I think I can comment on some things it seems to like. When I bought my
plant it was about 3 - 4 inches tall and had no pitchers. Well it grew
Ok for a while until it's leaves began to get smaller and a lighter pale
green. Then I repotted it out of its 3 inch pot into a five inch pot
with a mixture of live sphagnum moss, orchid bark, and charcoal bits.
(2,2,1) After this its leaves regained their color and began to grow
bigger. The leaves seemed to stay around the same size for about three
monthes untill very recently the last three leaves and pitchers have
doubled in size. This leads me to beleive there may be somthing to the
idea that TC plants might just take off after a while. I also let my
plant dry out a bit before watering again and keep the humidity around
80-85%. My plant also seems to have some kind of fungal disease that
affects the edges of the leaves and makes them turn black (but dosn't
kill the edges of the leaf). I dont know if there is a cure for this but
it seems to nearly dissapear when I don't regularly mist the plant. My
plant is now around 8 inches high so it seems like somthing that Im
doing is working right.

                        Hope some of this helps,
                                                 Matt Miller