More Sarracenia root rot...

From: Kong, Gary (gkong@mofo.com)
Date: Mon Jun 15 1998 - 15:16:03 PDT

Date: Mon, 15 Jun 1998 15:16:03 -0700
From: gkong@mofo.com (Kong, Gary)
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: More Sarracenia root rot...

After posting my last inquiry regarding S. rubra (thanks very much for the
informative responses everyone!), my S. leucophylla decided to up and rot.
 It seems the first thing to be affected are the flower stalks. Should I be
letting my plants flower? Is this what's weakening them and making them
susceptible? I'd like to let my plants flower because the flowers are so
beautiful. Or is it overcrowding? Or both? In both cases, the plants have
multiple crowns and after dividing my S. rubra, I noticed the surviving
crowns to be on opposite ends of the rotted out rhizome. Is this just a
natural process? Or is this problem specific to plants in cultivation? Am
I asking too many questons? Oops, there I go again.

Gary