U.subulata

From: Derek Glidden (dglidden@illusionary.com)
Date: Fri Jun 12 1998 - 19:17:07 PDT

Date: Fri, 12 Jun 1998 22:17:07 -0400 (EDT)
From: Derek Glidden <dglidden@illusionary.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: U.subulata

A friend posed a question that I could not answer.

We were out bicycling in a local Florida scrub/wetland park and came
across a few D.capillaris and U.subulata and when I pointed out that
U.subulata was known nearly worldwide, she asked if that meant it was a
particularly old species to have spread so far and I discovered had no
idea and couldn't even come up with a good theory.

Has there been any research into U.subulata/U.gibba as to whether these
are exceptionally new/vigorous plants or exceptionally old/widespread
species in evolutionary terms and in regard to their nearly worldwide
habitation? Taylor has some sort of basic evolutionary designation based
on the subgroups he has the species assigned to, but it doesn't really
follow (IMHO) that U.subulata and U.gibba could be merely
"run-of-the-mill" species and yet be known nearly worldwide while species
in the same subgroups are still confined to very localised populations.

Comments greatly appreciated.

Derek Glidden http://www.illusionary.com
Illusionary.com Home of the Pagan Resource Site
   Web development, database, graphics and general plumbing
Linux, FreeBSD, Apache, MySQL, PostgreSQL, PHP (Say No to NT!)