Re: Sarr Pollination

From: Doug Burdic (dburdic@presys.com)
Date: Thu Jun 11 1998 - 09:00:39 PDT

Date: Thu, 11 Jun 1998 09:00:39 -0700
From: Doug Burdic <dburdic@presys.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Sarr Pollination

* Note: When I replied to David's post, my email was returned with the
following notation in the email which makes absolutely no sense to me.
Anybody else having this trouble? Of course, if you are, then you will
never see this....

> Subject:
> TFS Delivery Failure: Re: Sarr pollination
> Date:
> Thu, 11 Jun 1998 16:47:40 +0000
> From:
> paul.large@ck-business.ie
> To:
> Doug Burdic <dburdic@presys.com>
> CC:
> paul.large@ck-business.ie
>

> Your message to the following recipients was undeliverable:
> seos.maccarthaigh@ck-business.ie

                  HUH?

Mellard, David wrote:

> I wrap wedding veil (white veil for to be pollinated and red veil for
> pollinated flowers -- freudian at its best) arround Sarr flowers to
> prevent pollination from unwanted bees. One of the things I noticed on
> some Sarr flowers wrapped in white veil that I never got around to hand
> pollianted is that the flowers formed pods just the same. Two things
> could be happening. The veil is not allowing the flower to expand
> properly and therefore the male and female parts touch resulting in
> pollination; or, ants, which are constantly hanging out in the flower,
> are pollinating the flowers.
>
> What do you think?
>
> David
> Atlanta

David,

Possible 'Hysterical Pregnancy'? Sorry, but I got such a laugh from your
"Freudian color-coordinated veils" that I couldn't resist. :^)

All seriousness aside though...I've noticed on other Sarracenia species,
especially S. purpurea, that the ovaries/seed pod swell sometimes even
though they are devoid of seed. Both your possibilities sound plausible
to me though...maybe even natural vibration caused by wind as well? I'm
wondering how much seed(if any) will be produced by these 'virgin
flowers' when they are ripe?

Take Care,

Doug