Re: Re: (Dumb?) questions about anthocyanins etc

From: dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Date: Tue Jun 09 1998 - 16:52:00 PDT

Date:    Tue, 09 Jun 98 19:52 EDT
From: dave evans                           <T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Re: (Dumb?) questions about anthocyanins etc

Dear Wim,

> > iii) Is it true that strongly coloured varieties are less efficient at
> > photosynthesis? ...

   Sort of... They are probably just as effecient at photosynthesis,
but they aren't quite as good at catching as much red light for
photosynthesis as the greener plants.

> They would indeed get bigger but the newly produced traps invariably
> displayed only a "healthy blush", the bright red coloration would not
> appear in new traps. It seemed this bright red coloration was not
> genetically determined. So I was thinking this might be a mechanism
> for small "hungry" plants to help in attracting prey. Aborting this
> trick, once they were well fed again. ??

   I don't think so. It seems that as the VFT gets larger, the red
doesn't cover the green so well. Perhaps the red is somewhat like sun
screen and as the more mature and thicker leaves are produced, they
don't need as much protection. You can always get VFT to make redder
leaves by increasing the light, just don't fry 'em.

Dave Evans