RE: Fire eksperiment

From: Tom Massey (massey@hal.fmhi.usf.edu)
Date: Mon Jun 08 1998 - 21:38:36 PDT

Date: Tue, 9 Jun 1998 00:38:36 -0400
From: Tom Massey <massey@hal.fmhi.usf.edu>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: RE: Fire eksperiment

 .... . So I made an experiment last year with VFTs, Droseras and
Sarracenias (some 50 plants) growing together in large pots. To prevent
from
higher temperature I didn't fire them really but I took a lot of dry grass
and Sphagnum moss, burned it and covered moss with ash (1 - 5 mm = ~ 0.1
inch). After two days I started watering.
After three weeks or so all my plants but one - you won't
believe - died. There were no survivals, even Sphagnum moss putrefied soon.

Wow, a sad but informative piece of news. FWIW, I had always believed that
the benefits of fire in the wild had more to do with removing competing
growth and shading than it did with releasing elements into the soil.

Tom in Fl.