Re: Subject: Re: Racoons -Reply

From: Carlo A. Balistrieri (cabalist@facstaff.wisc.edu)
Date: Tue Jun 09 1998 - 03:59:46 PDT

Date: Tue, 09 Jun 1998 05:59:46 -0500
From: "Carlo A. Balistrieri" <cabalist@facstaff.wisc.edu>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Subject: Re: Racoons -Reply

At 01:02 PM 5/28/98 -0700, you wrote:
>Carlo,
> You may have had voles digging in your pots. A few years ago I had
>pots of garden seedlings trashed so I set some live traps. Sure
>enough voles, some people call them meadow mice of the genus
>Microtus. They seem to like tender shoots, roots, and seeds.
>Patty
>Corvallis, Oregon

Had the pots been on the ground I would have thought of voles but these were
on benches 30" off the ground and in strong light. Mice maybe but voles (in
my limited experience) like it close to the ground and under cover.
It just ticked me off because these were new species from gemmae that a
generous list participant sent. One pot still has plants in it, the other
looks like a goner.

Carlo
Carlo A. Balistrieri, J.D. mailto:CABalist@facstaff.wisc.edu
P.O. Box 327
Ashippun, WI 53003-0327
U.S.A.
Voice: 414.569.1902 Telefax: same number, please call ahead.