Re: D. glabripes

From: Tassara (strega@split.it)
Date: Sun Jun 07 1998 - 08:51:12 PDT

Date: Sun, 7 Jun 1998 17:51:12 +0200
From: strega@split.it (Tassara)
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: D. glabripes

>Hi, I am getting a D. glabripes and have not found much info. on growing
>this species. Can anyone who has one share their experiences?
>
>Thanks in advance,
> Robert

Hi Robert!

This winter I sowed some seed of D. glabripes in various places.
Many of them were borne, but only a very few plants survived in three
different environments:
1- a small transparent plastic box, completely closed, with on its bottom a
layer of peat moss; it receives no direct sunlight and has no artificial light.
There a D. glabripes grows continuously producing many new healthy leaves,
but increasing its size very slowly (it is now 1.1 cm in diameter).
2- a shallow container filled with peat/sand 50/50 under a sheet of glass,
outside on my balcony, in full sun: the plants have there a very healthy
appearece, but they grow slowly (diameter about 1 cm).
3- a small terrarium lightened by a 14 W gro-lux 12 hrs per day, with the
lamp 7 cm above the soil (50/50 peat/sand, not too wet): there a D.
glabripes, after a period of slow growth, started growing very fast. Now it
is 3 cm in diameter and has produced a reddish stem 2 cm long. This is my
best one.

These are the results of my experiments.

I read that in the wild this plant grows on south facing hill slopes (in
northrn emisphere it would mean north facing), so it prefers rather shaded
positions. The soil is usually not too wet.

Hope this helps

Filippo Tassara
Genova, Italy