Re: problematic pitcher plant

From: dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Date: Thu Jun 04 1998 - 20:09:00 PDT

Date:    Thu, 04 Jun 98 23:09 EDT
From: dave evans                           <T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: problematic pitcher plant

Dear Paul,

> I have a small purple pitcher plant in a small 3'' pot. My only
> problem is that all of the exisiting, as well as newly forming leaves
> seem to grow/droop over the sides of the pot.

   At first I though this might be a joke letter, but I guess not... Ok,
first you'll want to move your _Sarracenia purpurea_ into a larger pot
(a six-inch will do for a year, eight inches in another year or two.)
so that it isn't so droppy and will actually have room to grow.

> The main stem of the plant has not grown higher than 1.5
> inches off of the soil. Whats up with that?!?

   That would be because Sarracenia stems are of a certain kind of stem,
which grow along the ground, called rhizomes. I seem to recall that there
might be mislabling of these mass-produced CP's. Perhaps it isn't really
a Sarracenia with, "leaves seem to grow/droop over the sides of the pot,"
makes me think more of Nepenthes. I suggest taking a look in the CP Data
Base to double check what plant you have.

Good luck,
Dave Evans