Re:Nepenthes pests

From: Richard Brown (esoft@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Tue Jun 02 1998 - 07:34:58 PDT

Date: Tue, 02 Jun 1998 10:34:58 -0400
From: "Richard Brown" <esoft@ix.netcom.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re:Nepenthes pests

>I am having a "pest" problem which I am not sure how to deal with.
>Recently I have been having problems with giraffes nibbling on my
>Nepenthes.They put their heads into the greenhouse where I have my
>Nepenthes growing and chew on the growing tips.Winter has arrived here in
>South Africa and food must be at a bit of a shortage.

Frank,

I remember reading in one of those old, collectable books on carnivorous
plant cultivation, about this South African giraffe-Nepenthes problem. Use
fake lions. Buy several life-size stuffed toy lions and set them on top of
your greenhouse. Pose them in a threatening manner. To further add to the
effect, spread catnip around the fake lions, so as to attract the
neighborhood felines, looking like lion cubs, thus adding motion to the
illusion and the suggestion to the giraffes of a reproducing pride.

Personally, I have problems here in Florida with alligators sunbathing in my
Sarracenias. Any suggestions?

Until later,

Trent Meeks
Pompano Beach, Florida