Re: Sarracenia and Drosera

From: dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Date: Mon Jun 01 1998 - 16:49:00 PDT

Date:    Mon, 01 Jun 98 19:49 EDT
From: dave evans                           <T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Sarracenia and Drosera

> I have a bunch of S. oreo that I've been growing inside since early
> spring. (snip) I also have S. leuco and minor that have done nothing
> but produce winter leaves, presumably because of low light levels.
> (snip) My question is this: if I move them outside in the sunshine
> now, will they start producing pitchers again?

Dear John,

   No, yes, for the _Sarracenia oreophila_ and _S. leucophylla_
respectively. I would guess all these plants are light deprived, since
_S. minor_ doesn't even grow phyllodia and are probably eliolating to
reach some light. It has been my experience that S. leuco are the most
light hungry species in the genus, so it's probably even more eliolated.
I suggest using over-sized pots for Sarracenia, since many species are
sensitive to water level and bigger pots are easier to maintain at a
consistant level of wettness. S. oreo (the most sensitive), will drop
all it's pitchers at the slightest sign of reduce water supply, not to
reappear until next spring. However, the S. oreo in my bog will retain
their pitchers just about as long as the _S. flava_ (late summer or more).

> Also, will D. spatulata survive freezing outside?

   No. But it can handle cooler temps until *before* frost starts.

> I'm in zone 5b, and we get a lot of snow here. (snip) What about D.
> rotundifolia in the same situation?

   Should be fine. They grow way into Canada (zone 4?) as perenials.

Dave Evans