Re: Stratification

From: Doug Burdic (dburdic@presys.com)
Date: Sat May 30 1998 - 10:21:25 PDT

Date: Sat, 30 May 1998 10:21:25 -0700
From: Doug Burdic <dburdic@presys.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Stratification

=========
> Richard T. Berg wrote:

> Yes, I second the 'Thank You'.. And Penn State is only about 1 hour from
> me!.. May have to contact the good doctor!...
>
> I received some of the seed that David talks about and I tried to follow
> the instructions of so many people/books on stratification of the Sarracenia
> seeds... I placed the seeds on white paper towels and placed them in Ziploc
> bags... I then added just enough water to thoroughly dampen the towels and
> placed them in a back part of my fridge... I was anxious to get them sown so
> I took them out at 4 weeks and thought to give them a 'hard freeze' as I had
> once read in a CP book... After thawing I let them soak freely in a
> room-temp glass of water then sowed directly on 1/2 peat, 1/2 course sand,
> and a live sphagnum dressing on top... I had great results and had about
> 89-92% germination rates on these seed... I'm into Bonsai as well and this
> is a similar treatment for many deciduous tree seed... My Japanese Black
> pine seeds also germinated but with a lower percentage, only because the
> seed were somewhat old...
>
> ... Richard

David, Richard and All,

Excellent germination percentage on those cw Sarracenia seeds you send
me. The P. psittacinas germinated the fastest, followed by the S. minors
and S. leucophyllas coming in a close 2nd & 3rd place. I kept all the
seeds you sent me in the refrigerator until sowing time...I have never
added any moisture to cp seed before stratification. In fact, I try to
get them fairly dry before I stratify them in sealed, air-tight packets
to lessen the chances for fungal infections. This usually begins in
October-November and they are kept in there until March or April, at
which time they are removed and sown on the media to germinate. Usually,
I just barely cover them with peat moss and place in a tray of water.
Always had excellent germination rates using this method. Whatever works
is great, but I'm basically lazy these days and this is an easy and
effective method that is non-labor intensive.

As a footnote, I echo Peter's concerns about whether or not we are even
going to have a growing season this year, at least in the NW Pacific
coastal area? Almost June and I can't recall a spring that was this wet
and cold..They're still getting snow at the 3500 foot levels around
here, with no end to this trend in sight.

Take Care,

Doug

Douglas Burdic
dburdic@presys.com