Why use Latin

From: Barry Meyers-Rice (bamrice@ucdavis.edu)
Date: Fri May 29 1998 - 10:57:36 PDT

Date: Fri, 29 May 1998 10:57:36 -0700 (PDT)
From: Barry Meyers-Rice <bamrice@ucdavis.edu>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Why use Latin

I understand the notion that Latin is a dead language, so why must it be
used by plant taxonomists.

I think the reason is: Latin is a dead language, so it must be used by
plant taxonomists!

You see, the details of plant differences must be clearly understandable
by all scientists the world over *and through time*. Read any book,
written in your own language, that is more than 200 years old and you will
see how much language has changed. The very dead--i.e. relatively
immutable--nature of Latin is its great selling point.

By the way, this does not mean original plant descriptions are impossible
to read by the layperson. While a plant description does include the Latin
part, there is always an additional discussion which is in a modern
languange. Unfortunately for me, this is often in german, italian, spanish
or some othe language. So you see...

Barry