Re: Re: Is smoking dangerous to your Nepenthes?

From: dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Date: Wed May 27 1998 - 14:49:00 PDT

Date:    Wed, 27 May 98 17:49 EDT
From: dave evans                           <T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Re: Is smoking dangerous to your Nepenthes?

Opps! Sorry about that long and misplaced e-mail.

Dear Doug,

> I've been a cigarette smoker for 30 years and grown CP including
> Nepenthes during that time with no ill effects to my plants whatsoever.
> One of the original pesticides used in early horticultural days was
> Nicotine Sulfate as a matter of fact. There is a plant virus called
> Tobacco Mosiac Virus which can be transmitted by a smoker's hands to
> members of the Solanaceae family like potatoes & tomatoes, eggplant,
> etc, but not to cp.

   I understand TMV can also be transmitted to Orchids. Also, I don't
know what family it belong to, but someone (a cigar/cigarette smoker)
once asked me to look at a failing _Cannabis_ plant to find out how to
help it back to health. It had a mosiac pattern of yellow the whole
plant over. The pattern was actually ugly to look at, and most parts
that were yellow were also somewhat constricted or malformed. I told
him it was as good as dead and that his smoking had killed it. I'm
positve it was TMV, and I'm fairly sure Cannabis isn't in _Solanaceae_.
Perhaps you have been lucky with your plants.

Dave Evans