Re[2]: Racoons

From: BREWER_CHARLES@ecomail.damneck.navy.mil
Date: Wed May 27 1998 - 06:03:39 PDT

Date: Wed, 27 May 1998 09:03:39 -0400
From: BREWER_CHARLES@ecomail.damneck.navy.mil
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re[2]: Racoons

Regarding raccoons, be very careful, They will dig up plants and in some
cases, carry them off. I live near a very large swampy area with tons
of frogs and raccoons and other wild life. Raccoons will go after frogs
that may be lurking around my CPs. I even had a raccoon try to claw his
way in the greenhouse a couple of weeks ago. My solution is to trap
these pest and turn them over to the animal control. Once a raccoons
moves into an area, he is there until he is run off by dogs or removed.
Raccoons tend to mark their territory by leaving piles of dung in
various places. This could be in your bog, front porch, yard or even
next to your trash can. I had a raccoon knock over one of my bird
feeders and leave a pile of dung smack in the middle of the seeds. I
found this out when I was trying to scoop up the fallen bird seed and
put it back into the feeder. My wife got a big kick out of that treat.
 Raccoons are also known for carrying off bird feeder, so be careful.
 These
animals are considered neighborhood pest and tend to get into
everything. I have trapped over 7 raccoons since I moved into my house,
less then two years ago. Every morning I go out to the greenhouse and
look around it for foot prints. If noticed any, I will set a trap that
night and usually catch the pest that night.
 Opossums are also a problem. They will tear open a purp pitcher to get
 after
the dead and stinking bugs. Opossums eat anything dead or that smells
rotten among other things. I just had a large Purp torn apart by a
opossum the other day. This was my own fault as I usually feed my Purps
dead frogs that get into the pool and drown. The opossum made a mess
out of the purp and surrendering CPs that were growing in the bog.
                                  Charles Brewer