Newbie Subscriber

From: JWi5770869 (JWi5770869@aol.com)
Date: Tue May 26 1998 - 15:09:24 PDT

Date: Tue, 26 May 1998 18:09:24 EDT
From: JWi5770869 <JWi5770869@aol.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Newbie Subscriber

Hello,

My name is John Wilden and I live in Southport, Lancashire U.K. and have been
keeping C.p's for about 10 years and I'm a newbie subscriber to the list.

I say new subsciber as I have been downloading the cp digests (right up
to 1063) from my local internet cafe, for some time (anybody know if
lists after 1063 are archived and if so where are they?), so I feel as
if I already know most of you (even though you don't know me!).

 Even tho' I've not been able to actively participate, I've used the
discussion forum as a GOOD source of info, especially the cultivation advice
which doesn't appear in books, or even (dare I say it)in various carnivorous
plant society literature. Perhaps because these little snippets may seem
trivial, they're never printed, which seems a shame, as there must still be CP
enthusiasts worldwide who do not have access to the internet and are missing
out.

I grow most of the major CP groups , have a liking for Sarracenias (especially
the red forms) and a major weakness for Utrics, even tho' I have difficulty
raising a lot of them from seed. I have however managed to raise, this Spring,
U. Crysantha which may not seem especially great to you old hands out there,
but of which, I'm quite proud!

I wonder if anyone out there can advise me on:

1) Some time ago, there was talk , on the list, of compiling a CD-ROM of
photo's etc, as a kind of encyclopedia of CP's. Did this ever get off the
ground? and if so where do you get the CD from?

2) As per para 2, where are digests from 1063 stored?

3) I'm trying (and have been for the last several years) to raise
Drosera Regia from seed. If anyone out there has had any success, or
knows the conditions ,in the wild where it grows PLEASE PLEASE let me
know.

4)Are there are any UK members who would like to correspond, with a view
to plant swaps? (no list yet but let me know what you want).

 Anyway I'll finish up now.

tata :)

John Wilden.