Re: Tuberous Drosera, peltata wonderment

From: dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Date: Wed May 20 1998 - 16:24:00 PDT

Date:    Wed, 20 May 98 19:24 EDT
From: dave evans                           <T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Tuberous Drosera, peltata wonderment

Hello Mark,

> As I said it grows like a weed.
 (He was writing in reference to D.peltata)

   It sure does. I placed a single D.peltata in one of my bogs last
summer as a lark. It stayed a rosette and died with the colder weather.
Odd thing is, it survived the mild, but still freezing winter and has
now produced an upright stem and may flower, but it still producing
bright green leaves in full sun and stands about four inches high.
It has "fuller" looking leaves than those on the stems of plants grown
inside and withstands wind just fine.
   At first I really couldn't fathom how a D.peltata got there, when I
first spied it several weeks ago, but then remembered the plant I wrote
off as dead. Who'd have though it possible?

   Ron Sbragia do you know where this strain of D.peltata is from?

   Also, I wonder if other tuberous Drosera also might be able to do
so well what amounts to very wet conditions (frozen in winter) year
round? From what I understand of them, none should, not even D.
peltata...

Thanks,
Dave Evans
Northern Jersey, USA