Nepenthes Newbie

From: Jim Roth (jim_roth@smtp.grafica.com)
Date: Wed May 20 1998 - 12:11:45 PDT

Date: 20 May 1998 15:11:45 -0400
From: "Jim Roth" <jim_roth@smtp.grafica.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Nepenthes Newbie

Hi, My name is Jim, this is my first posting. I've been interested in
carnivorous plants since I was a kid. Now I'm trying to get back into it with
adult-type resources and patience. I have 3 questions:
1) I want to grow Nepenthes Gracilis in a bottle garden (typical glass
water-cooler bottle) using sphagnum for a growing medium. Will this work? I
heard they grow slow and stay small.
2) I want to grow N. Mirabilis in a hanging basket on my deck (in New Jersey,
hot and humid) and bring it inside at the end of August. Is this a stupid
idea? I have a self-watering plastic hanging basket to use.
3) Last month's Vivarium Magazine (vol.9 No.3) had a beautiful shot of stand
of Nepenthes in the Seychelles. All they said was it was endemic. Is there
only one species there? What is it?
Thanks in advance.
Jim Roth