Darlingtonia cultivation -Reply

From: Patty Petzel (petzelp@gw.lbcc.cc.or.us)
Date: Mon May 18 1998 - 14:31:03 PDT

Date: Mon, 18 May 1998 13:31:03 -0800
From: Patty Petzel <petzelp@gw.lbcc.cc.or.us>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject:  Darlingtonia cultivation -Reply

I grow my Darlingtonia's in full sun in large styrofoam coolers filled
with mostly peat, some sand and live sphagnum covering the top. The
coolers have holes cut into them and are placed in 300 gallon water
tanks. They don't get as tall as in the wild but they have nice
color, they bloomed and they send out multiple runners, to the point
of taking over the containers. The large amount of water keeps their
roots cool and I don't have to water everyday.
Patty
Corvallis, Or