RE: Home Depot, Etc.

From: CMcdon0923 (CMcdon0923@aol.com)
Date: Wed May 13 1998 - 20:18:34 PDT

Date: Wed, 13 May 1998 23:18:34 EDT
From: CMcdon0923 <CMcdon0923@aol.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: RE: Home Depot, Etc.

All of the CP I have seen (and purchased) so far this year at either Home
Depot or Lowe's here in the Dallas Texas area, came from either the "Little
Pot of Horrors" source, or from Gubler's Orchids. Although I have not seen
any yet this season, Booman Floral has also supplied plants to these stores in
the past. In addition, both LPH's and Gubler's tags specifically state that
the plants are from TC. Although I don't have any way to confirm this, I feel
that there is no way these plants could reasonably come from any other source.

First, the shear volume of plants in question precludes collection from the
wild, IMHO. Take the total number of megastore outlets, and multiply by
number of plants per case, times the number of shipments each store receives
each year. The number must be in the tens, if not hundreds of thousands.
Besides the time involved, natural-site collecting on this scale would be
impossible to cover up. And finally, the plants are just too similar in size,
too limited in species, and just all appear to have the same general "feel",
as is to be expected from mass produced nursery stock.