Introduction/germination of Sarracenia

From: Aaron Ellison (aellison@mtholyoke.edu)
Date: Tue May 12 1998 - 12:31:16 PDT

Date: Tue, 12 May 1998 15:31:16 -0400
From: Aaron Ellison <aellison@mtholyoke.edu>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Introduction/germination of Sarracenia

Hi - I've been lurking on this list for a while, which helped me get
some seeds of several Sarracenia species from Dave Mellard last winter.
It's also been fun reading!

Short intro: I'm an ecology professor at Mount Holyoke College in
Massachusetts, where I study wetland plant community ecology. My
current research focuses on plant-insect interactions, with a focus on
Sarracenia purpurea and its associated inquilines (the mosquitoes,
midges, mites, flies, and rotifers that live in the pitcher liquid). As
a side project, I've gotten interested in germination behavior of
Sarracenia; that appears to interest a lot of cp'ers on this list.

Anyhow...to see some data on germination trials of S. purpurea, minor,
flava, alata, leucophylla, and psittacina, you can check out
http://www.mtholyoke.edu/~aellison and link to the germination of
Sarracenia pages. Sooner or later, I'll also post some micrographs of
dormant Sarracenia seeds.

For a longer introduction and information about Mount Holyoke (where I
work), you can link to my "official web page" from my personal home page
(address above).

And if anyone would like to send me wild-collected seeds this fall of S.
oreophylla or S. rubra for germination testing, I'd be grateful. I'd
also like to get some S. purpurea seeds from all over its range
(Newfoundland down to Florida). so if any of you can collect some seeds
this summer/fall, contact me for details on how many I could use and how
to ship them.

ciao from New England,

Aaron Ellison